Thursday, July 15, 2010

San Diego Comic Con 2010...and DVD release!!

Hello everyone. Well next week will be my 6th year exhibiting @ San diego Comic Con. Its been a staple channel to meet new people, say hello to those who follow my work and just all around fun for the industry. Anyway, just like the last 4 years I will be @ Table/Booth H5 in the back right by one of the many Cafe Express food courts. I am right next to my good bud Stephen Silver (H6). People know me for my animal character work and book on this subject; The Art of Animal Character Design. Well this year I have put out a DVD on general character design, not limited to animals, entitled "The Art of Character Design Volume 1".

There are so many essential ideas, approaches and practices that I have learned in being a character designer that I felt its time to share this knowledge. This is why I have created this first collection in a series of demonstrations and videos of character design mechanics that consist of live demos done in both the classroom and studio setting that take you through my thought processes and application techniques. If you are just a beginner dont worry because alot of my knowledge is not just in my drawing demos but also in my explanation. The entire series will not just consist of basic design necessities that are essential to a production, like turnarounds and expression model sheets, but also whats important to character development, like personality and the story behind the character. Some topics discussed are "Bringing Life and Personality to Your Characters" and "The Who vs The What". There is almost 4 hours of demos...and the best thing is that I am selling it a Comic Con Special Price of only $20....thats right..learn my techniques and approaches for only $20.00. Many ask why such a good deal...well I like to give back. I believe in making my work affordable when done for educational purposes. For those of you who cant make it to my table (H5) @ Comic Con, dont worry....the DVD will be available online soon enough.

See the cover here:




32 comments:

Derick Brooks said...

Your stuff is awesome man. I was supposed to make it to comic con but didn't have the funds in the end, sucks cuz I would have loved to chat with you. I'll definitely be purchasing that DVD when you have it available online though. Keep up the good work.

Baby said...

Ohhh, that's great! I can't wait to order the DVD, because I'm not from the States... Pity, because I would really like to meet you one day... But that's just a dream right now. Anyway... Don't mind me! ;-)
Best regards!

gcastro3d said...

That's hot dude! I look forward to picking up a copy of your dvd soon.

God Bless,
George

SCIBOTIC said...

Colour me intrigued.

Isaac Orloff Illustration said...

Looks great, where online will it be available?

lincoln said...

EXCELLENT!!! This will be on my to get list with Marcos Mateos book that's coming out in August...

It's a great summer for books...!

Lester DiLorenzo said...

I can't wait! This'll be my first time at Comic Con and I'm pumped, have been especially excited to see you there! I'm definitely getting a copy of this DVD!

吳婷婷 said...

All roads lead to Rome. 堅持自己所選!..................................................................

Tres Swygert said...

Totally awesome David! Can't wait to grab a copy of the DVD. :) Enjoy your time at SDCC!

楊儀卉 said...

無私分享,很不錯哦~謝謝~~............................................................

姿吟 said...

玩遊戲玩到累,還是逛逛文章休閒一下!!輕鬆自在最舒服~~..................................................................

原秋原秋 said...

Joy often comes after sorrow, like morning after night.............................................................

SEILER said...

Sweeeeet, I gosta get this!

arlo ramz said...

<3 penguin :)

雅俊芬凱陳許 said...

工作,是愛的具體化~~~~努力吧!............................................................

蔡舜娟蔡舜娟 said...

Practice makes perfect...................................................

leelee said...

Here are the bear facts. David Coleman, Sony animator produces very funny art pieces. The bear’s expression is worth a thousand words. The funny trio of cat expressions just cracks me up. So, the cat adopted his masters. Oh my, those expressions are priceless. That cat has the most amazing eyes. You can tell he collects human pets with impunity. You must be incredibly blessed to work for Disney, Sony, the Cartoon Channel and other huge companies. Those doodles are incredible art . I just want to add that the art from your life drawing class is absolutely perfect. Heaven knows that with talent like yours, you most definitely are not one bit rusty as an artist. Whatever made you think that you are a rusty hinge in need of oiling. You have an incredible ability to render the human body in full action. Very few artists have your amazing ability and extraordinary talent. I’ll bet you can paint anything you want.

Devy said...

I live in the UK, but I would love to buy a copy ... Drop by my blog and fill me in on how I can purchase if you would :)

my email is: dimebag101@hotmail.co.uk

Have Fun at Con!


M

俊宏淑松 said...

Offence is the best defence.............................................................

Adrian Lubbers said...

Wish I could be there Dave. Canada is a long way though. lol.
Best of luck Man.

antoon said...

SIR AM YOUR BIG FAN, I LL B REALLY PLEASED,. IF ULL VISIT MY BLOG AND GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS

盈廖生家秀蔡 said...

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it...................................................

林宜欣 said...

有趣有趣~還ok的啦(。・`ω´・)............................................................

p鄭hilli智pal堯ex said...

第一忠誠,第二勤奮,第三專心工作。..................................................

張家弘v張家弘 said...

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................

Danny Araya said...

great seeing you again at the con man. I just checked out the DVD and it's FANTASTIC! I'm really looking forward to the next ones.

Griselda Sastrawinata said...

Awesome!!! I'm getting one.

Anthony Price said...

Wasn't able to make to the Con this year, however, I am looking forward to your DVD once it is available online. I really appreciate you putting together a Character Design DVD. I really think there is a market for something like this. Especially for those who live out of state or just can't afford to pay for a Character Design Class. This is very good! Thanks!

葉仲蓮葉仲蓮 said...

不論做什麼事,相信自己,別讓別人的一句話,把你擊倒。..................................................

David Colman said...

Thanx to you all who have left a comment. The DVD launch off to a great start. It will be available online shortly. I will announce it on my blog, facebook and my deviAnt page when it becomes available. Thank you

Ramon Mejia Jr. said...

That's the best news I have heard in years! I will be picking this one up!

Zane said...

It was great getting a chance to chat with you again at the Comic-con! The dvd was absolutely awesome. Can't wait for a volume 2!